The goal of parenting is to raise happy, healthy and successful children. It can be translated to one quality -- resilience. The guideposts for parents include:
- Being empathic
- Communicating effectively and listening actively
- Changing "negative scripts"
- Loving our children in ways that help them to feel special and appreciated
- Accepting our children for who they are and helping them to set realistic expectations and goals
- Helping our children experience success by identifying and reinforcing their "island of competence"
- Helping children recognize that mistakes are experiences from which to learn
- Developing responsibility, compassion, and a social conscience by providing children with opportunities to contribute
- Teaching our children to solve problems and make decisions
- Disciplining in a way that promotes self-discipline and self-worth
The authors are renowned psychologists who had worked with children and parents on real issues for decades. The scenarios told in the book are all too familiar. Either I experience it myself or episodes experienced by my friends. It is hopeful to see solutions being tested and outlined.
I must admit it may be not easy to act on these advices, but it is certainly a great starting point for parents to foster a wonderful relationship with your children.